[Dailydrool] Cheap drugs

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Thu Aug 2 08:33:26 PDT 2012

Always look for a better price for expensive medications--they may be out there. I learned this when Dexter was on his glaucoma medications. The generics for two of his four drugs were a lot cheaper and could be gotten very easily at my pharmacy. Some common drugs (though not glaucoma ones, I think) are available for $4 at a larger pharmacy that has a cheap-drug plan that tries to get you in the door by selling certain drugs at a dirt-cheap price). Check out any pharmacy that advertises that it has a list of inexpensive drugs.

Such a cheap-drug method doesn't always work. The drugs you get stuck paying a lot for are new drugs that are not available in generic form. But sometimes, if your money is really tight, a vet can prescribe something less expensive that may work. The problem is that "may," because if it doesn't work, you will end up paying for the expensive drug after the cheaper one has failed.

With Dex, I probably nearly halved his eyedrop bills by asking for prescriptions. I liked the eye vet a lot, but I didn't think he had to dip into my pocket for quite that much money. Once someone mentioned that one drop was available in generic, I checked them all and found another was too.

Another place to check for cheaper medications is your food store. A local store gave me Abner's antibiotics for his lip infection for free. Though I almost never used that pharmacy for myself, I'd buy a few items in the store when I went there, so they'd make out well and so would I. And I think I paid them $4 for his thyroid medication, too.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets