[Dailydrool] Are bassets stubborn ?

Frans Breytenbach soilkraft at mylan.co.za
Fri Aug 3 02:01:47 PDT 2012

I really do love the contents of the e-mails flying around regarding bassets vs dog whisperer. So glad that my feelings are confirmed in this regard. Having being enslaved by bassets for the last 48 years, I beg to differ on one aspect : Bassets are not necessarily stubborn, they are just clever enough to assess a situation and decide for themselves whether it is in their own interest to comply with the trivialities such as sit, stay, roll over or whatever. No sir, those are for people-pleaser dogs. Why should I sit if there is nothing in it for me ? Perhaps if a treat is offered, maybe it can be considered..........

Also, one so often hears that dogs can't figure out the issue of cause and consequences. Again I beg to differ. I used to keep the bassets' treats in a ziplock bag in the drawer of my bedside cupboard. One night Klara jumped onto the bed, opened the drawer, took out the bag, opened it and ate all the treats. If that is not figuring the sequence of events out, what is ?

At present the score is Bassets 10, Humans 0.

Drool to all, especially the DW, who was outmanuevered by the most intelligent race on earth.

Klara, Sally, Frans & Mariette