[Dailydrool] Snoopy and LuLu update

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 9 13:19:09 PDT 2012

Hi all, it's me,

Snoopy and LuLu are doing well, very well.  They have become even more
affectionate with each other.  They usually sleep with either LuLu's head on
Snoopy's butt or else Snoopy's head on LuLu's butt or with their butts pressed
into each other.  They are almost always together.  They act like they are
brother and sister and have been together since birth.

Since Cyrus went to the bridge there have been some major changes at our house.
Nobody barks anymore if someone comes to the door.  I never realized it before
but it was always Cyrus guarding the door and he'd bark and the others would
join in.  Now that he's not there to start the chorus .... no one barks.  I may
need a "please be careful not to trip over the guard dog" sign.  Snoopy has
taken up laying in the entryway where Cyrus used to lay (and where he died).
But he doesn't bark if someone knocks on the door.

Another big change .... food.  Snoopy doesn't guard food anymore.  At all.  We
cooked steak the other night on the grill and he never made a sound.  We sat
down to eat and he never said a word.  He always went crazy before worrying over
the steak.  Cyrus was so big he could (and would) rest his chin on the kitchen
table checking out the food and it made Snoopy crazy (Nepolianic complex?)

Feeding time is a non event.  Snoopy eats in the kitchen on his mat and LuLu
eats in the kitchen on what was Cyrus mat.  When they both finish they each go
over to the others mat and lick out each others bowls.  The other day Snoopy
went over to LuLu's bowl before she was done and stuck his snooter in there and
she barked ... once .... and he pulled his snooter back out and waited until she
was done.

Toys .... I cleaned out the toys and removed the huge heavy balls and the soft
flying discs and anything really well loved.  I got out 3 or 4 toys and Snoopy
has been playing with those.  He seems unwilling (or unable) to go dig through
the toy basket .... that was always Cyrus' domain, he loved toys.  But if I get
some out he'll play.  LuLu has never played with toys ... but she WILL rest her
muzzle on one of the braided pull toy from Wen and the bounders and even mouths
it sometimes.  If you have a dog that won't play with toys maybe you should try
one of those from the bounders, seems to work for LuLu.

One point for concern is now on walks LuLu seems worried about my safety.
Before she always ducked behind Cyrus on walks when a stranger approached.  Now
she still shys away but several times she has darted out as we walked past a
person ... turns out she is a little ankle biter.  Well, ankle mouther .... she
doesn't actually bite but this behaviour is not good.  The other day she grabbed
a ladies ankle very suddenly as she walked past us and I apologized and pulled
her off and she looked up at both of us as we stood there and grabbed the ladies
other ankle.  She didn't try to bite and she didn't leave a mark or hurt the
woman but she didn't let go until I made her either.  She was making it clear
that the lady better leave her mama alone.  She's done it a couple of more times
and really startled people .... and me too!  So now whenever somebody is
approaching us on our walk I pull both LuLu and Snoopy over onto the grass or
parking strip and insist that they both sit and "pretend to be good dogs" which
they will do .... for praise.

I miss my big boy but I've mostly made peace with it.  It is what it is.  Glad I
have Snoopy and LuLu to get us all through this.  They are such cuddle bugs.

More later from the clueless momPerson with Snoopy and LuLu