[Dailydrool] eating non-food items

Lisa Turnquist turnq007 at umn.edu
Fri Aug 10 09:54:17 PDT 2012

Re: Puppy..please remind me is this normal?

We currently have a puppy in the house and they definitely do explore and
try to eat everything, which is normal. However it can be dangerous and it
is why we crate our little one when we are not home.  Sounds like you are on
the right track to make sure to do your best to "puppy proof" your house.  I
hate to say it but in a few dogs the desire to eat nonfood items seems much
greater and may last beyond puppyhood.  We see some of these dogs in rescue.
BBR's most famous "pica" dog is Ethel who at the age of 11 or so decided to
eat multiple hypodermic needles that were knocked to the floor by a
different dog.  Amazingly she survived, though the vet and surgery bill was
huge.  Ethel is still going strong and keeping her foster home constantly on
the alert.  She is a tiny little senior basset so you wouldn't think she
could get into any trouble.

Lisa and the MN Woofers

Hank, Copper and baby Zuzu