[Dailydrool] Dirt-eating

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 00:55:10 PDT 2012

I have been away and am just catching up on Drools. Our Bo, when he was younger, was a champion dirt swallower. But I don't think it was on purpose. Instead of digging with his front paws, he used his jaws like one of those construction cranes--grab as much of a clot of earth as possible in the jaws of death and rip it up from the ground. He could dig very large holes in a very short time this way. Whenever I gardened and pulled weeds, he dug up 'weeds' right beside me. Only his divots were much bigger than mine ever were. Sometimes he'd swallow the whole divot. Then later there would be hacking and the runs, but never any serious damage. Except that my lawn looked like a polo field after the ponies and mallets were through. This was before he ever got sick. Now if he so much as looks at a leaf, his digestive system goes haywire. Go figure.