[Dailydrool] Neurotic dogs and feeding

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 06:01:56 PDT 2012

Bev, I would whole heartedly agree that a neurotic dog will starve itself.
So, I  don't think I include them in the group of a healthy hound.  We had
a hound that we adopted that was neurotic and a very picky eater.  I
thought I was going to lose my mind trying to figure out how to get her to
eat.  She was picky about the bowl she ate out of, what she ate, the
texture, the tempature and how much food you put on the spoon at a time.
After I had her eating good for me, we went on vacation.  She wouldn't
eat.  They were going to have to put her on IVs and we just came home
early.  As soon as we got her home and I fixed her food, she ate for me,
but she wanted to be hand fed again for a few days.

I do what it takes to get sick dogs to eat.  My Bismark ATB was the king of
strep throat.  I always knew if he missed a meal it was time to call the
vet and treat him for strep throat.  Then I would make a crock pot of
chicken and rice.  He always wanted it microwaved until the chill was taken
off, but it wasn't really warm and hand fed to him on a spoon.  Don't ask
me why, but he would get strep once or twice a year.  I will also bend over
backwards for little old dogs that just don't want to eat any more.  They
don't have to actually be "little".  Those of you who have survived more
than one generation of hounds know exactly what I mean.

Jennifer, momslave to the nonpicky eaters, but very picky about their water
soure, Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn ( well, I only eat if I can see Bugsey)