[Dailydrool] Weird bleeding toe growth

Laura Salmon laurarsalmon at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 19:31:30 PDT 2012

Hi all,

About ten days ago I was walking the hounds and Molly yelped and I looked
down and blood was spewing out of one of her back paws.  We raced home, I
threw her in the car so quickly her brothers couldn't even fuss about not
going, and raced her off to the vet.  Diagnosis was a cracked toenail.  The
vet trimmed it, made a beautiful "shoe" out of bandages, and sent me home
with a topical antiseptic to rinse it with and some Rimadyl for the pain.
 Took her "shoe" off after 18 hours and she seemed to be on the mend.

As it's healed enough for her to let me examine it it seems that in
addition to the cracked toe bone she has a weird growth between the nail
and her paw.  I can't tell whether it's soft like her pad or hard like her
claw (one piece looks hard and the other soft and I like having ten fingers
so there is no touching), and needless to say close examinations aren't
appreciated.  I've been traveling like a lunatic for work and this is my
first week home.  I had planned to take her to the vetspital anyway and had
making an appointment on today's to-do list when today whatever it is
started bleeding again.  And bleeding.  Ax murders are less bloody.

I raced to the drugstore and bought a lot of bandages.  I've made her a
"shoe" -- not nearly as nice as the vet's, but it works.  And the first
appointment they could give me is Thursday afternoon.  Have any of you had
anything like this?  I assume the vet will look at it and tell me to bring
her back in for surgery to remove it, but I'd like to know what I might be
looking at going in.  Thanks!  Laura (and Molly wearing a shoe that is NOT
a Jimmy Choo...don't quit your day job Mommy and take up shoe design).