[Dailydrool] Getting Gracie to eat

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 16 14:58:03 PDT 2012

Ok, ok, so I'm clueless.  I got her to eat by begging her to eat and hand
feeding her on Tuesday night and then Wednesday same deal AND it took like 6
tries.   But I got 1 cup in her Tuesday night and 2 cups in her yesterday.
Today, nada.  Tried begging.  Tried hand feeding.  Tried half a dozen times.
Nada.  I do NOT want to start adding stuff to the kibble, slippery slope here, I
know that.  Gotta get her to eat the kibble.  At first I was real worried but I
tried a treat and she ate that.  I tried some bread and she wouldn't touch it
but the other two wanted some so she took some cause they took some.  I tried
again with the kibble.  Nada.

Now ..... I have always, out of an abundence of caution, fed fosters in the man
cave right on the other side of the kitchen door.  It's nice out there, like a
rec room.  There's a pool table and couches and a flat screen on the wall.
There's rugs and beer signs, and bean bags, it's a pretty nice man cave.  So
...... I thought to myself ..... yesterday I got her to eat by passing off
kibble as treats to the other two and then she took it too.  So, I brought her
bowl inside and started handing out kibble and the other two came running ......
and Gracie growled real low and they both backed up about a foot and I put her
bowl on the floor in the middle of all of them ...... and she ate almost all of
it.  Snoopy was so sweet, it's the nicest I've ever seen him be about food, he
just lay down about a foot from her bowl and never tried to get closer until she
left the bowl and walked away.  So ..... now what???

Is she telling me she wants to eat in the kitchen with the other two?  Is she
telling me she only wants to eat if the other two want what's in the bowl?  Is
it going to be safe to feed three dogs in close proximity?  I'm real confused
here folks.  Before Cyrus died Cyrus and Snoopy ate in the kitchen and LuLu in
the man cave because LuLuWAS a foster (I failed).  But after Cyrus died I
brought LuLu into the kitchen to eat with Snoopy and he has only stuck his
snooter in her bowl once, she barked and he backed out.  Now he waits patiently
until she's done and they lick out each others bowls.

What should I do?

the ever clueless momPerson who wants Gracie to eat without being begged to do
so