[Dailydrool] Hair Loss, Crate Training etc.

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Tue Aug 28 15:34:27 PDT 2012

My 11.5 year old, Johnny, was experiencing hair loss on his sternum, "arm
pits", lower abdomen (left side only) and inner part of both rear legs.
Having had bassets for 46 years, this was a new one.  His arm pits were a
bit red, so we did Gold Bond to no avail.  I tried a variety of other
remedies . also to no avail.  He had to go to the vet to get a blood draw
for an NSAID panel because he has been on prednisone for a couple months but
that is another story.  The vet checked him over and then did a skin
scraping . I was mortified when she said he had demodectic mange.  Then,
when I started breathing again, she explained that the mites are part of the
normal skin flora but since he had been on a steroid, his immune system was
suppressed and it allowed the mites to take over . kind of like antibiotics
and a yeast infection.  It is not contagious and can be cured but it takes
quite a while.  Johnny has been getting twice a week bathing and daily
Ivermectin (injectable Ivermectic given orally by weight).  His hair is
growing back and he just had a recheck skin scraping and was negative for
mites.  He continue with the Ivermectin for 4 more weeks and have a final
skin scraping.  So . unexplained hair loss might be explained by this . ask
your vet.

Crate training . I cannot stress enough how important it is in my opinion.
I think that it gives a dog security and a "safe" place to go when things
get too crazy in a household.  Mine all sleep in the crates at night (well
almost all . Johnny and Hoagie have been sleeping with me) . they eat in
their crates (with 9 dogs I need to know who ate what, give meds etc) and
are frequently found lounging in their open crates during the day.  When we
leave the house, everyone goes to their crates for their own safety.  That
way, no one chews an electrical cord, knocks a table over and clunks
themselves on the head, or decides to de-stuff the couch.  Also, in case of
a fire, they are all in the same room (with a prominent sign on the window
of said room) and can easily be taken out safely.  Frightened dogs tend to
hide behind furniture and that is when firefighters cannot find them.  Also,
being crate trained makes travel so much safer.  Mine all travel in
metal/wire crates.  When we had an accident pulling a trailer, all six dogs
who were crated were unhurt, even though the van and the trailer rolled over
and were totaled.  When we were working, my dogs were crated from 8:00 AM -
3:00 PM with no problems.  Now, some of the older boys need more frequent
potty breaks, so we don't leave them more than 4 or 5 hours.

We NEVER leave a dog outside when we are not home.  It is simply not safe .
because of heat, other animals, neighbors, kids, creeps and thieves.

Sandi Wittenberg

Red Bay Bassets