[Dailydrool] Brody

Marcia Kerns beachmoose at windstream.net
Sat Dec 1 10:38:16 PST 2012

Ive been off drool for quite a few months dealing with crazy health issues, chemo, a broken foot, hubby's knee surgery and two basset boys to the bridge.  I want this year to be over!

On the bright side, we've adopted Brody from Suncoast Basset Rescue.  He's an adolescent.  'Nuff said.  We live out in the country and after we'd had him for just a week, he bolted.  I was hysterical.  We wandered the wilderness on foot, in the car, and on our Segways in the great dark of night.  I even took Maggie out thinking he might hit her trail and bring himself back.  All we got from that was a lecture from a very large Doberman who indicated loudly that we should be home in bed.  My husband found him at 10 am the next morning trotting down the road about three miles from home.  Ever since then it has been a battle of wits trying to keep this guy safe.  He breaks or digs out pretty much at will.  I've now put another $400 into my fence and he's slowed down a bit.

Brody is one big gorgeous hunk of hound.  He has the biggest feet I've ever seen on a basset and apparently they make excellent shovels.  I've given up trying to keep the dirt controlled that he brings in.  If he were a person I'd swear he was smoking dope.  Just needs some sunglasses for that ultra cool look.  He hates cats and that has been the issue.  We have ferral cats all over the place here.  He's very laid back and condescending towards us.  We got him as a playmate for Maggie who is still young.  That part has been a smashing success except for the part where he puts her whole head in his mouth.  He gets it and treats her well.  He has more stamina and she sets the timeline.    Whoever had him spoiled him rotten.  He just hopped up on the bed (none of the other bassets can manage this feat) and settled into our bed and our hearts.   He waits for us to put him down....no jumping allowed.

There have been dire threats made regarding his life expectancy by my husband, but I firmly believe that within the next year he will be a super terrific dog.  Heaven knows he's smart!  He is winning this battle of brains....so far.

Greetings to all, drool where it's needed (Brodster is copious).  Only Brody wears a collar here....for obvious reasons!
Marcia and the Beach Bassets