[Dailydrool] IVDD

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Mon Dec 3 08:11:39 PST 2012

My first advice is to join the Yahoo group Dodger's List: http://www.dodgerslist.com/ This list is for dogs with IVDD and other back problems. Though it's mostly peopled by dachshund owners (that breed has the highest incidence of IVDD), it was very helpful to me when we went through IVDD with Abner.

Second, I know the docs will tell you that you can cart your hound around in a towel. Don't believe them unless you have man-sized hands. I cut a beach towel in two, lengthwise, but even though it was old and thin, I could barely grip it. Once I dropped Abner, which was a real security problem, since he never again trusted me not to drop him. Buy one of the slings meant for carrying a dog, and you may get a better grip.

Also, realize that the recovery will be a very traumatic time for both you and the hound. Not that things will not end up being fine in the end, but it is very draining to have to wait on your dog as much as is required for this recovery. Hook up with someone who has been through it before, so you can have some support and advice to get you through it.

Get your dog on glucosamine and chondroitin immediately after the surgery. This helped Abner immensely. He got aggressive, possibly because the surgery probably was not perfect and he was in pain sometimes. Once we put him on the G&C, we had no more troubles with him. If your vet pooh-poohs the G&C, do it anyway, at least for a trial time. It can take 6 to 8 weeks to work fully, so at least try it that long before you give up on it. I had mentioned using it to my vet, who said it would be OK, but doubted it would help. After a surgeon suggested that we should try it and it worked, I could have kicked myself for not following my gut feeling and doing it, despite my vet's doubts. Unless there's a reason not to try it, I would do it.

Finally, hold onto your courage. Things will be OK, once those first few weeks pass. The trauma doesn't last forever. Abner got on his feet and did very well. In the end, the only way you'd have known that he had back disease was that he'd walk like a drunken sailor when he was tired. He never had another problem with his back, because we followed all the vet's directions.

My prayers and the hounds' drool go with you.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets