[Dailydrool] Smiley dogs

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 09:31:34 PST 2012

Some dogs do smile and unless you know what you are looking at it can be an
unsettling experience. Belgians tend to smile. There is a "Belgian
Grin"which, when you are peering at all these white white,pointy teeth in
this black wolfy face, is quite interesting.
They kind of pull their lips back and show you everything, but their eyes
are friendly and warm, and the body language is not aggressive.
I have known a number of other dogs of various breeds (and mixed breeds)
who smile. Bassets can't, I don't think, because of the loose skin folds.
All the dogs I remember as smilers were clean-faced dogs (i.e., no loose
skin).
Cooper, who had eyes a little lighter than is called for in the standard,
had an extremely wolfy look early in his show career and between that and
his "smile" I had more than one Judge ask if I had a good hold on him. LOL.
He was such a candy-ass. (Sorry Cooper,but you were.) (Our little secret.)
Doc, the Belgian puppy, "grins"-- not often, but well.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Doc