[Dailydrool] Dremels and Sanding Barrels

Marilyn Burns mj_burns at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 11 10:36:54 PST 2012

This is in response to the inquiry regarding the diamond barrel sanding drum
from Lasco Diamond Products.  Throughout the years, I have purchased and
tried their other sized barrels and grits - however, I find the large
barrel - coarse grit - to be perfect.  The large barrel is the same length
as the standard dremel sanding drum - approximately 1/2" - but it has a
smaller circumference - with a diameter of approximately 1/4".  The size
works extremely well - even for smoothing out the back edge of the nail
close to the pad.

Although I have never used the sandpaper drums that come with the dremel - I
fortunately hadn't thrown them away.  That allowed me to visually compare
the grit on the two barrels.  I actually found the Lasco coarse barrel to be
VERY close to the fine, sandpaper band.  Remember, these diamond barrels are
primarily used for shaping and polishing acrylic nails - so the grit is NOT
typical of sandpaper!  A fine grit diamond barrel in the "manicure world" is
used for smoothing and providing a matte finish on the top of a nail - not
for length changes.

As for the batteries - the period of time that Michael mentioned the battery
lasts is probably pretty close.  I had been using the dremel cordless
multi-pro for years.  Those batteries run about $20 and I had been able to
find a new units for under $25.  To me it was a no-brainer to replace the
entire unit.

As for the new dremel - I bought it around October 1st and just changed the
AA batteries yesterday.  It wasn't dead - but it did appear to be losing
strength.  We do Amanda Lynn's nails weekly - so that really isn't too
bad...   Plus, we buy AA batteries in mass-quantities from a wholesale
club - as my husband needs them on his job.  However, a friend of mine who
is a dog groomer by trade, uses the standard rechargeable AA batteries in
hers without a problem.  In fact, she's the one who told me about the unit.

I hope this helps...

Marilyn - loving Mom of Amanda Lynn and Bridgemates Samantha Sue and Bob
Burns