[Dailydrool] The clueless momPerson checking in

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 17 09:15:27 PST 2012

Hi all, it's Dale,

Whew, all I've got to say is whew.  My youngest's Bat Mitzvah is done.  The best
part is she really loved it.  Last night she turned to me and said "mom, I was
doing it 80% for you and 20% for the party but I wound up really enjoying the
whole thing."  Nice.  And we made it through with the bassets.  Oh LORD I was
worried about the bassets.

We were TERRIFIED that the bassets would get loose.  Now LuLu won't door dash,
she doesn't leave my side, but Snoopy does ..... and Gracie is on the fence ....
she doesn't like strangers and she might run off to get away. Nobody got loose.

I was worried about food.  When we had Julianne's Bat Mitzvah people kept
putting food everywhere.   Snoopy has food aggression .... he doesn't bite but
it's QUITE a SHOW.  We managed to avoid most issues.  Snoopy had little Gracie
on her back a couple of times over getting between him and the people food but
he didn't injure her .... and I had warned guests ahead of time that this could
happen and not to interfere, because Snoopy won't actually hurt her.  We had the
dinners on Friday and Saturday night at restaurants.  Thursday night we are
already up to about 10 and Greg did tri tips so ..... I took Snoopy to his
obedience class from 6-7 while everyone ate and then came home and ate by myself
with most of the food cleared to avoid him getting too wound up.

I was concerned that with all of the strangers and excitement mixed with rescue
dogs we could have a bite.  Dog on dog or dog on person, it's always a concern
when you have 20+ people in a tiny house with 3 dogs, 2 of whom do not like
strangers.  Like I said Snoopy put Gracie on her back a couple of times over
food and he does bite on her ears when he does that but not hard enough to make
a lump or make them bleed so I don't count that.  There were really no issues.

I stressed over Gracie's potty training.  She does pretty well overall but I
still don't trust her enough to totally leave her to her own devices so .... I
take her out first thing in the morning and last thing at night and she usually
manages her own schedule during the day.  If it is raining though I usually take
her out one more time around noon just to be sure.  But with all the guests and
confusion plus we were gone most of Friday and ALL of Saturday I was afraid of
backsliding.  No accidents.  Gracie did just fine.

In summary the old saying is true .... "most of the things we worry about never
happen anyway."  The dogs were fine, the party was fine, Natalie didn't miss a
single word, she did an awesome job and now it is over and done.

Whew.  All I've got to say is whew.

More later from the clueless momPerson who needs to go buy a Lego and cook
Natalies favorite dinner because today is her actual birthday so we're not done
celebrating yet!