[Dailydrool] Westminster

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Mon Dec 17 21:03:39 PST 2012

The Westminster show will be held February 11 and 12, and will be in two
places for the first time: Madison Square Garden for Jr showmanship
finals, Group and Best In Show judging, and all other events will be at
Piers 92/94.

The entry limit is increased from 2,000 to 3,200 dogs and will allow
dogs who are not American KC champions to compete in Bred-By-Exhibitor,
American-Bred and Open classes as long as they have won at least one
major award. These dogs will be "benched" and therefore available all
day for spectator view and visitation. TV viewing of show will be on
CNBC and USA networks from 8 to 11 a.m. CST.

Benched shows (in which exhibited dog or dogs must remain on display all
day) fell out of favor over 50 years ago, and most exhibitors despise
them as they are exhausting. But I sympathize with AKC in its desperate
attempt to attract people who might become interested in joining the
sport (or art, as I prefer to view it). The difficulty for people to see
a particular breed at an unbenched show is immense. Not only is it hard
to know at what time a specific breed might be shown, it could be that
there is no entry at all for a number of different breeds. Hard to be
entranced by something that isn't there.

But then, I'm older than dirt, and the first show I attended (40's) on a
whim, was benched, as were they all. Fell in love with a particular
breed (not Bassets) and the mystique and excitement of showing. Probably
wouldn't have happened in today's world.

Riche,
BUGLER, The Basset Hound Magazine