[Dailydrool] Pawlicking: boredom or allergy????

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 03:44:15 PST 2012

Nigel has been eating his feet. Lots of times I understand that this is due
to allergies, but since Nigel rarely goes out I was dubious.When i
discovered that we were working on what looked to me like a lick granuloma,
I lowered the boom.
Dogs sometimes will have an itchy foot and begin licking it. This releases
endorphins that are pleasureable, so they are rewarded, as it were, for
licking. They lick more.Feels good. Endorphins kick in. Hooooboy, lick
licklicklick, and before you know it, your dog has a big old lick granuloma
and you have a real problem, because this is a horrible habit to break.
Dogs that are bored do this.
Dogs that are alone.
Dogs that have energy and no place to put it.
High-drive, high-energy working dogs (Dobermans are especially afflicted)

 I began telling Nigel to STOP. Forcefully. He would quit for a moment and
then start again.
I sprayed his feet and big, little legs with nasty tasting stuff. Yaaaah,
well i can lick anyway, so there.
I put socks on. That helped somewhat and then, Mr. Biskit started a renewed
program of getting Nigel outside several times a day.And bingo-- he quit
licking.

The release of energy, the relief of boredom, that seems to have turned the
tide, and he rarely licks now. I also have been providing fresh bones for
him, and letting him play with Doc. All these novel stimuli have replaced
the need for self-stimulation. His licky spots are growing hair.

So I guess i would suggest more exercise and more interesting toys when the
dog is alone. Maybe some of those hideously expensive interactive toys that
take some time for the dog to solve-- kongs stuffed with whatever, bones,
(altho i do not leave my dogs alone with bones or similar products) more
walks.... more games, more active interaction when you are home.
Failing that, I have known dogs that wore e-collars ALL THE TIME unless
they were under the watchful eye of the owner. This is sad to me, but
sometimes necessary. Stop it early if you can.

MomPerson to Nigel (can we go out or do I lick?) Conley  (what IS he
eating??) Llewis (Sighhhh) and Doc (what? what?)