[Dailydrool] Aggression and Owen

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 26 07:46:29 PST 2012

 Sandra,
    You have done all the right things with Owen.  Unfortunately, you have a couple things working against you.  Number one, too many dogs going in and out of your home.  Insecure dogs tend to be aggressive and unstable.  Happy, well adjusted, adaptable dogs are not aggressive despite the upheavals of adoption, placement, abandonment....  Owen need s home where the population is constant and he is not constantly competing for attention.  I have been in dogs for 18 years and I have serious doubts that chemical intervention ever truly cures aggression.  I have seen many follow this path and few success stories.
    Owen's aggression may be hereditary.  I have seem a real line of hereditary with personality and aggression with dogs over the last two decades.  Puppies really do tend to act like their parents just as children do.  Even children that are adopted still have behaviors and tastes they inherited from their natural parents--see twins separated as birth.  Owen's problems may be genetic in nature and not just a result of his tough life.  I know some intact males who are fine with other intact males then I know intact males who have to KILL any other intact male but are totally fine with neutered males.  You just never know.
    I would advise you to start asking the hardcore dog people in your area who do rescue and rehabbing of dogs as well as training as well as a really good breeder if they know a skilled humane trainer that deals with aggression.  Many years ago, we had a male Newf come into rescue that was extremely violent with all male dogs even through he was neutered--he was neutered later in life.  His whole life was changed by this trainer we found.  He completely changed this dog's life.  He became well socialized and could go any where after the 30 days he spent with this gentleman.  This trainer saved his life.
    You have had Owen vetted by both a DMV vet and a behaviorist DVM.  This is his last hope.  He is a liability to place and he could one day severely injure or kill a human or dog.  He is either radically change through training or I would recommend euthanasia.  I know this is a horrible choice to make but you simply cannot continue living this way.   He is clearly miserable or he wouldn't act this way and he is ruining your life and your dogs' lives as well.
God Bless You, Sandra and Good Luck!
Marie Campbell
Man Plans ~ God Laughs