[Dailydrool] Final response

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Thu Feb 9 11:35:52 PST 2012

I really am going to shut up about the responding-to-drool-questions
subject after this, but do have to say I have high hopes people will
continue (or resume) answering to the list when questions arise. Surely
everyone who has been on this list like forever is aware that they or
someone has really helped someone else. Really! And have educated
newcomers who (gasp) bought their Basset from a pet store or puppy mill.
(I recall that sometimes the response to this admission incurred rather
nasty comments, and some of those newcomers immediately vanished...and
how sad is that? Not only for the new Basset owner, BUT
possibly/probably for the Basset itself.)

On a side note, my mother was a breeder-owner-exhibitor in the 50's and
Miss Know-It-All (me) went to California and bought her very own "show
puppy" so as to exhibit my vast knowledge and superiority over Mama.
Well, in the first place, the puppy was pure crap as far as being show
quality (but costly) AND, more importantly, actually was the product of
a puppy mill. I didn't know it then, and it was a hard lesson learned
the hard way -- but just because people show dogs and have a room full
of trophies does not necessarily mean they don't run a puppy mill on the
side. NOT ALL OF THEM, but definitely some of them. And you will never
ever know which except through experience (and I mean real experience,
not gossip and outright lies). On the other hand (and this makes me feel
SO good...) my mother's first Basset ALSO was crappy quality, innocently
purchased from a very well--known, very successful champion-maker, who
also produced litter after litter of pet puppies for profit. A lesson
learned too late.

Finally, while I'm all in favor of being provided helpful websites,
there probably are a lot of people like myself who are not helped by
being told to go to the archives. If you recall my first post, I
couldn't remember the name of the disease... so how was I going to look
for it in the archives???? And along with having CRS, am not
particularly computer savvy, either -- just ask my geek friend/savior
who patiently walks me through the same problem this week that I had
last week but forgot how to fix.

That's all, folks
Riche