[Dailydrool] Fiber in diets

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Thu Feb 9 16:50:29 PST 2012

Bugsey is allergic to wheat and oatmeal which really limits what we can add to his diet to help with his anals and terrible constant constipation.  I talked to my vet and he said it was okay for me to add Metamucil to Bugsey's food.  So I add generic, plain unflavored Metamucil to his food morning and night with warm water to his food.  It doesn't have to be unflavored.  It has been my personal experience that most animals don't love citrus flavor and I have had several animals allergic to food dyes.  Plus, I just can't stand the smell of dog food and flavored Metamucil mixed together with warm water.  Then I add green beans or pumpkin.  He loves it.  Beauford gets it once a day because he is not as constipated as Bugsey.  I am sure you are all just thrilled to know that I have constipated dogs.  I really don't know why.  They eat a fair amount of fruit and veggies.  I am asking the vet tomorrow if we can add a prune or two to Bugsey as a treat because, well you probably don't want to know.  I am embarrassed to have to tell the vet even though we have had more embarrassing conversations.

Jennifer, momslave to Beauford and Bugesy