[Dailydrool] Clarification

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Fri Feb 10 15:30:26 PST 2012

Replying to some comments, not necessary in order of importance, but:

All our recently installed runners and scatter rugs have non-skid
backing. That is not the problem. Well, actually, that IS part of the
problem. If you don't pick up your feet in a youthful manner, when your
toe catches on a non-skid rug IT doesn't move, but YOU DO. At least I
was smart enough not to have rugs in the area between cooking stove and
sink (dog will have to adjust) as I did not care to trip while carrying
a sharp knife, pot of boiling water, roasting pan, or whatever.

When speaking of there being some show breeders who also are a little
big puppy-millish (sort of like being a little bit pregnant), I
emphasized "NOT ALL OF THEM" and I mean that. (Most show breeders will
end up with a few pups that will be sold as pets, but I do NOT mean that
that makes them a puppy-mill.) Anyone who gets one of those pups is
lucky indeed, though it may be quite costly, because it still is a very
good representative of the breed and a lot of thought, care and expense
went into it's existence -- it just isn't quite good enough to win
consistently or at all in the show ring. You may not be able to see why
not, but the breeder can.

The ones I consider to have a side-line puppy mill set-up, and I think
and hope it's only 10 percent or so, are the ones who deliberately
produce pet puppy litters as a cash crop. Even though they may be and
usually are raised in very fine conditions (not what you automatically
equate the phrase "puppy-mil"l with) IF they are being produced solely
for income, then puppy mill they are, no matter how small an operation.
That's my opinion and it will never change.

Then there are the well-meaning (they think) small-time breeders (anyone
who's been on this list for a few years can remember such posts) who
have a "nice" male and female and they are "filling a need" for people
who want a Basset puppy but either can't afford one from a show kennel
or can't find one with any puppies available. I don't "flame" these
people, at least I don't think I do, but I do write and ask them please,
please don't do this! For one reason, and there are MANY more, this type
breeder rarely explains to the buyer that their little bitty puppy
probably will end up weighing 50 to 80 lbs. and be 3 feet long from nose
to tail tip. Or more.

There are way too many homeless Bassets in this country, and some of
them get into that situation as early as 6 months of age -- after they
stop being LITTLE and REALLY CUTE and get stuck in the back yard or
worse. People are suckers for cute little puppies of any breed or mix,
but way too many of them lose interest when the puppy stops being a pup.
Tiny breeds that tend never to lose their somewhat puppyish appeal are
less affected, but even they get dumped.

The photos of Bassets needing homes that various rescues send to me just
break my heart. If I were even only 10 years younger, I'd get at least 6
of them, but I'm not and can't. But I hope, hope, hope others will. And
for those of you with friends or co-workers who express a desire for a
puppy, try to explain the temporary nature of that compelling "cute"
stage (about 2 months) that is followed by 10 to 16 years of adult dog
ownership & care..."for better or worse, in sickness and in health...and
should be till death do you part."

Riche