[Dailydrool] Many Things

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 04:32:24 PST 2012

Book Recommendation:
Especially with the WESTMINSTER on TV Monday and Tues (Yoo hoo!! Watch it.
I believe hounds are on Monday there should be at least one Basset,
probably Topsfield whoever they have out now.--I cannot remember his name
but he is the top ranked Basset in the country)
*************************************
There is a new book out which is well-written and extremely informative
even if you already show
SHOW DOG: THE CHARMED LIFE OF A NEAR-PERFECT SHOW DOG by Josh Dean. I am
not sure I have the subtitle right but the author and first two words will
get it for you. It explains more about showing, who shows, what a Judge
needs to be a Judge, handlers, the dogs themselves, and one dog in
particular than I have ever seen in one place before. It gives you the
structure of the shows, so you will know what it means when someone says
"She went Best of Opp" or "Winner's Dog but no points." And what it takes
to get to the very top of the pyramid. (Hint: $$)
*************************************
Like to take a second to let you know what is happening with Nigel.
He has a bad UTI. He does not have grit or stones-- no, this is caused by
his being down in the rear and probably not emptying the bladder all the
way, and it is probably the same UTI that made him so sick before that we
never got completely rid of. (Nice sentence, English Major.)
He is on an antibiotic now and I am going to start a regimen of holistic
treatments that i hope will prevent this in the future. The drug we have
him on now is an old drug that was not used for many many years and was the
4th antibiotic wwe tried last time given out of a hunch of Doc's that not
having ever had it before, it might work: and certainly it has improved
things 100% in just a few doses.
One of the things about a down dog is that they need to be watched so they
don't get into trouble-- stuck under chairs and tables, falling off
couches, chairs and beds, not to mention poop watch. I understand that hand
expressing the bladder is the way to go, but I cannot do it. Neither,
actually, can my Vet, at least not easily. The bladder-- (Nigel's) rolls
away from your hand (or my hand in this case) and the pressure I have to
bring to bear is more than I like. Since he has had bleeding episode and
vomiting after I have manually expressed his bladder for a few days we have
compromised: I will see that he gets every possible need fulfilled and in
return, he gets catheterized. If this eventually leads to scarring and
serious problems, then it will, but I cannot do everything for him the
exact way it should be done, and still breathe.
In return also, I let him get up at 4:30 every morning and I still love him.
Thank you everyone for all your good thoughts and excellent suggestions and
tips. And Now I am told it is breakfast time...

MomPerson to Nigel, (down but not out) Llewis, Conley (never down, never
out) and Cooper (watching.)