[Dailydrool] Drool for Dexter's glaucoma

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 12 11:47:10 PST 2012

Last night, Drew and I both went out to a meeting--a not-very-common event. Our foster Dexter took this opportunity of being alone with the basset girls to have trouble with his remaining eye.

When we came back, I noticed that he was finding his way through the house by sniffing. So I took a look at the eye, and the third eyelid was up about halfway. His eye was a bit red. Signs of glaucoma. So though all I wanted to do was go to bed, I threw him in the car and hurried off to the emergency room where the eye vet visits once a week.

As usual, Dex charmed every one of the vet techs and the doctor. But after taking him in the back to check his eye pressures and do another test or two, the vet came back and said that he had to stay overnight to get IV medication and be pilled. As I waited for the doc to bring me his leash and harness, I could hear Dex howling whenever anyone passed by. That's what they get for separating a houndie from his mama!

Driving home alone was very lonely. All I could do was think about poor, lonely Dex in his cage. And since I was driving at about two in the morning, I could barely keep my eyes open long enough to get home safely. Then, of course, I couldn't get to sleep, thinking about my poor boy.

This afternoon, when I connected with the emergency vet who is on duty, he too had fallen under Dex's spell. He says he's doing fine, but I know that since we don't plan on doing the surgeries the vet was talking about, glaucoma will eventually win. It always wins, even if you spend all that money on surgery. So I'm requesting drool in the direction of Dex's eye. May it keep working as long as possible and hurt as little as possible.

No matter what happens, he's not going anywhere. Though we can't afford the pricey medications he's on now, if he does lose his sight, we are planning on adopting him. It just seems cruel to do anything but try to keep him seeing as long as possible. So some good drool slung in his direction would be much appreciated.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets, two of whom are already slinging the drool