[Dailydrool] Gus snapping.....Sydney B. Did that.

bassetslave at comcast.net bassetslave at comcast.net
Mon Feb 13 14:49:55 PST 2012

Funny you should post about this problem so soon after Norton B. Departing made me think of the dearly depawted , proud to be OEBE #, Sydney B. Sydney B. Liking to go cujo if awakened, particularly on the bed. We started out happily snuggling with the wild child back in about 2002 as a foster. Cried my eyes out when Sydney B. adopted and Rich said he could stay if the adopters sent him back. Which they did. We soon learned that it was okay to go to bed first, and then have Sydney B. jump up....but if he either got there first and was disturbed by my getting into bed or was bothered during the night, Sydney B. CUJO . Would lunge, teeth bared and try and eat me. Fortunately, Rich and I were both pretty fast with a pillow in  his face. This happened several times at home and one night in Mishgun ...when he did it in front of Bill (Maggie's Way) Stanton who was sitting in our room when Sydney B. taking a nap on the bed.

Easy fix. Crate at the end of the bed. It took a few cookies to lure him in the first few nights....but Sydney B. Smart. He knew that he would get his bedtime cookie and would just go on in when he got tired. As long as he was not allowed on the bed, especially first...he was fine. Missed the snuggles but was, and remain, rather attached to my face.

This worked with one exception.  In December of 2002, I decided to fly to Vegas, then drive to Daphneyland for the howliday pawty . Figured I'd surprise Dawn of the West. I was packing late at night for an early flight. Rich kindly offered to drive me to the airport and went the guestroom while I packed. I failed to pay attention and Sydney B. Climbing on my pillow when I went in the closet. Hmmmmmn . Sydney B. Sleeping between me and the already set alarm clock. Rich was snoring away and I knew I couldn't sleep in the other room.  No alarm clock downstairs and I had to get up or miss the flight. I was afraid to get in bed, it got later and later....about 2 AM ....so I pulled Syd's bed out of his crate and slept on the floor for a few hours.

Lesson learned. If ya get 2 and a half hours of sleep on a dawG bed and then stay most of a the night in Vegas, no matter how tasty the bon bons on the pillow, it is not the best idea to drive round trip to Daphneyland and back the same day!!

Get Mr. Gus a nice crate, put in a fluffy bed and talk to him through the roof.  Just a matter of avoiding  his triggers. Everybody B. Happy.

doG I wish Sydney B. Here. He looks so happy and young smiling off the wall at me. He was a James Dean of Bassets. Lived fast, died young.

dawn