[Dailydrool] sudden or new aggression

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 13:07:47 PST 2012

 If any dog suddenly becomes aggressive after years of sweet behavior two things should always be looked into immediately
#1 epilepsy
#2 brain tumor
Always have a dog that suddenly becomes violent or aggressive thoroughly examined by a veterinarian.  If the dog is then given the all clear on its health then and only then have the dog assessed by a qualified, compassionate behaviorist.  I had a friend that bred Danes for years and suddenly her favorite dog attacked her two year old daughter.  The Dane had the child's whole head in her mouth.  She had the dog euthanized and necropsied only to find out she had a massive brain tumor.  Another time a Newf girl who had always been an angel nipped a toddler's arm.  The owners rushed her to a vet to find out she had a horrible ear infection and the little girl pulled herself up using one of the dog's ears.  A friend of mine had a seeing eye lab that suddenly bit her grandson and everyone was shocked and upset.  In fact, her husband wanted the dog immediately euthanized and/or out of his house or else.  It turned out Riley had severe spinal
 arthritis and the boy had jumped on him and tried to ride him.  My friend, Betty, in Golden rescue who went to pick up Riley the night of the incident had him Xrayed the next day and got the diagnosis.  He is now very happy living in a home with a senior couple who just adore him and my friend Chris's husband never let her get another guide dog.
    Many, many times violence in dogs is rooted in a health problem.  I would always opt to seek veterinary advice first before I would assume that the pet had simply gone loco.
    Susan, please let us know what happens with Gus.  My heart, thoughts, and prayers are with you!
Marie Campbell
Man Plans ~ God Laughs