[Dailydrool] Basset Socialization - RI and beyond

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 13:07:43 PST 2012

When we lived in San Diego we had an awesome basset meet-up group. It
was organized and maintained on www.Meetup.com and we absolutely loved
it. Meetup.com is a place to find groups of people in your area with
similar interests. Knitting, reading, running, whatever.

Well I searched Bassets and found this great group that met at a local
dogpark on the second Saturday of every month. If you couldn't make
it, no big deal, but every week at least some people showed up. I met
some great bassets and people and the local rescue org would also come
on occasion and bring hounds that needed homes. It was so fun to see
20+ hounds milling about and sometimes doing a giant basset 500. Other
dog owners in the park just looked at us like we were crazy.

Since we've moved to N. California, I haven't found another Basset
meetup group, although there are dog ones nearby, just not bassets
specifically. I've considered starting one - I think the organizer
fess on the website are around $20/year - but so far we are still just
adjusting to living here and I don't feel confident to take something
like this on, just yet.

Perhaps you can start one in RI. Even if you just meet every couple
months to start. Eventually more people will join and the meetups can
become more frequent.

Best of luck,
Kacy with Cow and Ru