[Dailydrool] Elmo and the pit bull (Barbara Stacey)

Vazquez-Soto, Nancy Y nvazquez at indiana.edu
Thu Feb 16 15:49:25 PST 2012

Dear Barbara,

I totally hate when these things happen! Chained dogs are bad news no matter what breed or mix-breed. My dogs are indoor dogs, period! I own a Basset/Lab, A Shar-Pei mix, and a pitbull type dog. My Basset Hound Roschko passed away back in May and I still miss him so much! :( He was the main reason I joined this group.

Pitbulls are sometimes not easy to identify. For some, a dog that looks "intimidating" is a pitbull. I had a brush coat Black Shar-pei (ATB) and people would ask me if he was a pitbull. We must be very careful with this. I say Pit-bull type dog because it could be a Staffordshire Terrier, an American Pitbull Terrier, or a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

I adore my furry kids and every time I hear a story like this it makes me feel impotent and frustrated by the fact that pitbull type dogs are often demonized thanks to their neglectful and irresponsible owners. I feel for your dog and for you. Having to go through this is not fun. I also feel for the other dogs b/c they will likely be euthanized and I truly believe in dog behavior rehabilitation, no matter what kind of dog. I have seen first-hand the wonderful changes on dogs that were fearful, aggressive, and simply scared of people turn into grateful and loving creatures. It's so rewarding!

Again, I'm very sorry for what happened and suing them is the best way to go, as harsh as it may sound to some.

Best,
Nancy