[Dailydrool] AKC Sucks

melissa fenchel mibassetrescue at att.net
Thu Feb 16 16:45:55 PST 2012

Gee, I know that sounds harsh, but in the last Drool someone said they were
Proud to have AKC Registered Bassets. AKC is all about collecting money for
registrations. They will take that money wherever they can get it....pet
store puppies, puppy mill dogs from the Amish...etc. They don't care. If
they did care they would STOP registering puppies sold in pet stores. Also,
you might want to think on this...the "Papers" you get with your puppy are
only as "good" as the person who provided the information. If the
registration comes from Kansas, Missouri or Pennsylvania, chances are it's
from a puppy mill owner or broker. People tend to see AKC Registered as they
see Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval (both meaningless BTW). Many see the
AKC Papers as a License to Breed!! AKC would not argue with that. They want
the money from registrations. They came right out and said that during
Westminster this year. I know it's the only registry we really have in this
country....It would be marvelous if another less pompous and more
responsible registry took over.

I've seen many AKC Registered Bassets with "papers" come through our rescue
that just BARELY resemble our beloved breed in looks or temperament!! BUT
THEY HAD THEIR AKC PAPERS!! Lots of times the best use for AKC papers is to
line the bottom of your bird cage!

Sorry, but after 20 years in rescue this is a very sore subject.
Melissa