[Dailydrool] Hound Colors

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 19:36:37 PST 2012

Okay, I have to chime in on the 'hound colors' thread. I have Emma, which
is a tri-color, though mostly red & white, and Joey a blue basset. Yup, I
said blue! There's a few of them owned by other droolers & we've seen
photos of a few here & there in rescue, but by & large, they're really
rare. Joey was bought by a 'breeder' (I use the term VERY loosely; I don't
think ANY reputable breeder would keep a dog they decided not to breed in a
cage for nearly a year, and let it get infested w/every worm you can think
of!) because he could have expensive puppies... One trait of the blues is
that they're freakishly small or freakishly huge... he got the huge gene!
He's about the size of a Labrador, on short, stubby legs... This color is
naturally occurring in hounds, but is deemed as 'undesirable' because they
are susceptible to skin issues. (Joey has alopecia, so he's missing some
fur). Personally, I'd grab another blue in a heartbeat! He's an amazing
hound, and a total momma's boy! He also makes quite the statement when out
& about, as people aren't used to seeing 'the big grey dog,' but people
also assume he's older than dirt because he's 'grey & bald,' and they don't
get that he's supposed to look like that... Anyway, just wanted to chime in
that there are 'Blue' bassets out there too; they are not a recognized
hound color, so they don't show at dog shows, but they're pretty cool, even
if they need a coat to stay warm!

--
-Karrie, momma to Joey the blue basset & Emma, with Slater (ATB), Aunty to
Checkers, Domino & Crispin (wb)

Joey's dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/637473