[Dailydrool] AKC Rant

melissa fenchel mibassetrescue at att.net
Fri Feb 17 06:57:07 PST 2012

I've gotten some private e mails after my AKC post. Some people got the
wrong message from that post so I want to clarify:

 I didn't intend to bad mouth responsible show breeders. They are the only
ones out there insuring that bassets continue to look and act like bassets.
They also work very hard to make sure any hereditary health issues are not
passed on in the dogs they produce. They also will take back any dog they
have produced for any reason. Their dogs don't end up in rescue....if for
some strange reason they did, one call to that breeder and the breeder would
be happy to take their dog back. You can't paint all breeders with the same
brush. I have very good friends who show and breed bassets. They also do a
lot to assist rescue efforts. I have enjoyed spending some time in the show
ring myself.
It's AKC I have a problem with.

Melissa