[Dailydrool] Itchy Boy, Fred

Sarah Webb sarahwebb2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 06:46:27 PST 2012

Kalli,

My droopy ATB had awful allergies.  He was also better in the winter
but as soon as ANYTHING started to green up (and it's already starting
here in Indy), the itching, paw licking and chewing, red skin and
extremely itchy ears would start.  His feet would get infected, so we
were on regular rounds of antibiotics and pred.  Benadryl helped at
first but eventually he was immune to it.  The solution we found was a
dermatologist, full skin allergy testing, and allergy shots.  He was
on shots for about two years, and by then had enough desensitization
that he didn't need them much.  I know it seems to be an expensive
proposition, but in the end, it saved me money.  100 bucks for vet
visits and antibiotics and pred every month or so, or the initial 600
buck (in 2005, mind you) evaluation and serum.  it improved his
quality of life dramatically.

something to consider.  good luck
sarah and droopy ATB