[Dailydrool] biting the hand that medicates him

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 14:38:56 PST 2012

I do not know what happens at other hospitals and clinics, because I only
worked at one. I know that probably 90% of the time when someone was
bitten, the owner was NOT told or she may have been told "He nipped one of
our techs" even tho the Tech is back there with a cold compress on her hand
and  pouring betadine on the holes.
We always figured that being scratched, bitten, analed in the face, shit
and peed upon kind of was written in the contract. I scar very easily and
after over twenty years of holding furious cats and upset dogs, when I tan,
I look like a roadmap with lighter lines all over my hands and arms.
If the bite is bad enough that the tech or Vet has to go to the hospital,
then we tell the client-- we have to because the hospital is going to
notify the police.
Nobody wants to believe their dog might bite, but what people tend to
forget is that aside from anals and growling, it is the only way dogs have
of expressing displeasure, fear, anger-- those things we can verbalize.
Biting is a dog's way of verbalizing-- maybe yelling.

MomPerson to Nigel (I would never bite. I don't think. Well maybe.) Llewis
(Yes you would) Conley (I wouldn't) Cooper (You all HAVE.)