[Dailydrool] parathyroid tumor-malignant

Kristy A Meyers kawarner at umich.edu
Sat Feb 25 10:44:34 PST 2012

Hi All,
Ruby my basset hound just had a parathyroid tumor removed on
Valentines Day. Her pathology report was a shock..it was diagnosed as
malignant..this is very rare. 97% are benign and less than 3% are
actually carcinomas.

Her prognosis is good. The excellent surgeon removed the right
parathyroid and right thyroid gland.which is the first place it would
spread. She also had clear margins for up to 1mm, and it was diagnosed
as low grade. She had scans before and there are no other visible
tumors anywhere in her body.

Has anyone else experienced parathryoid tumors in their dogs? It is so
rare for them to be cancerous..there are no standard protocols for
treatment such as chemo or radiation. At this point I would not put
Ruby through this..she is a  very happy, otherwise healthy 12 yr old
gal. Any thoughts, advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Kristy, Ruby, Lilly, Malley, Holly, Marcy (all bassets), Maggie the
foster bagel and Jack the dobie