[Dailydrool] Basset puppies

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 15 15:36:54 PST 2012

Hi Ann,
    My Lemon and White boy is PERFECTION!  He is 3 or 4 years old, in perfect health and the sweetest dog God ever created.  He is lovely, lively, a wonderful talker, dramatically woeful when we leave, sleeps with me every night, loves elderly people,  and is the life of every family gathering!  I don't know many people I like as much as Luke.  He is from the Mississippi floods.  He had never been on grass until I adopted him and used to only walk back and forth in a 10 foot imaginary run and shake each foot like a cat when he first encountered grass.  He was 20 pounds under weight and he had a deformed ear that "someone"  had surgically altered so that it now lays perfectly flat.  His conformation is quite good and, now, he freely runs my one acre fenced in yard.   He never even barked when I first got him. I have owned allot of dogs in my day but few have I felt as close to as Luke.  Luke even wags his tail in his sleep if you
 talk to him.
    I have a 6 year old tricolored girl named Fancy that made me first fall in love with the breed.  She is a bossy pants with all the dogs but very soft and sweet with people.  I was her 5th owner by the time she was 1 1/2 years old.  I don't know what is wrong with people that can't apprciate the goodness of Bassets Hounds.  I almost think they are the perfect dog!  I also think they are devilishly cleaver in bending man and beast to their will!  Fancy has also been very healthy in the 5 years I have owned her--no ear infections, no infections of any kind just annual vet visits for shots and such.
    Beau is my 4 year old tricolored boy who was kept on a chain his whole life.  He is a tracker's  dream.  He will follow a scent for miles.  He is also a busybody and as hyper as a chimp on crack.  He has two speeds full throttle and sleeping.  His temperament is impeccable.  He is never grumpy, he never fights, and he is always sweet and affectionate.  Fancy and Luke both get grumpy with the other dogs not Beau he thinks every dog is his personal entertainment center.  He came with a horrible post op infection but has recovered beautifully.  He even had a bacterial skin infection no one had treated for years and now that is gone too.
    What has been other lister's experience with color?
Marie Campbell

Man Plans ~ God Laughs