[Dailydrool] (no subject)

Mary Lee Trnka mltrnka at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 15 21:13:01 PST 2012

Thought I'd add my two cents about coloring vs personality. We've only had two bassets.  We got Tucker (ATB), red & white, as a puppy from a reputable breeder.  He was a very healthy dog until the very last week of his life.  I was really diligent with the house training, crating him whenever we couldn't be with him and taking him out as soon as we got home.  I actually had him trained to pee on command while he was on a leash.  He was completely trained by the time he was 6 months old and never made a mistake in the house unless he was sick.  It took about 3 years for him to get his "big boy brains", and he was pretty hyper until then.  After that he was a classic couch potato.  He was great with the cats, and he readily accepted other dogs. We got Philby from 4 the Hounds Rescue in southern MO when he was 3 - 4 years old. He was picked up in Oklahoma City, and fostered in the Tulsa area.  He is a classic tri-color with a large black saddle.  For several years we had to be more watchful with Philby - he would sneak out of our sight and pee.  If we kept him in our sight, or confined him in the kitchen when we left, he would not make any mistakes.  He also gets along with the cats, even the really old snotty one that's always beating up on him.  He is also quite healthy, a classic couch potato and a lap dog - all 75 lbs of him.  Since Tucker's gone, he has become more of a velcro dog - he really just wants to be where the humans are. I guess we've been really blessed to have healthy dogs who are pretty well-mannered and easy to manage.  Both of them have really good temperments, so I'm not sure colorng has anything to do with personality. Mary Lee