[Dailydrool] AKC

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 17 10:13:19 PST 2012

Hi Beverly,
    I am responding BUT I don't want to start a firestorm.  The AKC is broken up into several corporations.  The registry is a non profit the corporations are not thus the AKC treats and toys they now sell, the credit cards they push, the auto insurance, the pet insurance.  They made literally millions off the credit cards alone---MILLIONS!  The CEO, CFO, and the president are paid HUGE!  I was the president of the Pasco Florida Kennel Club.  We are part of the Florida Classic Cluster and co-owner of the 50 acre Florida Classic Park in Brooksville.  We are also a non profit and it means very little.  Legally all it means is that we have to donate 10% of our profits very year,  My club alone, which has only 40 members, is always sitting on $100,000-  or more in our bank account.  I was also a rep for the Florida Association of Kennel Clubs.  I know exactly how the AKC works.  The Westminster club lost nothing by dropping Pedigree as a
 sponsor. Pedigee gives our kennel club $10,000 or more to set up a booth at our show and they supply the club with the numbered armbands for the handlers and banners.  I am sure they gave Westminster way more and they pay for their own ad space during the show but so what?  Purina has WAY MORE MONEY then Pedigree and probably gave Westminster twice what pedigree was paying them as a sponsor.
    Our Club gets $10,000 per show so Pedigree can put up their booth BUT that may change now.  The AKC may pressure us to drop them too.  They can and do control who the regional clubs associate with.  We have an RV dealership that pays our cluster $40,000 just to set up 4 RVs on our show site.  They end up selling 40 to 60 custom RVs during every 2 week cluster so they profit in the end.
    Frei has personally flown down to tell our club and our cluster who we will let sponsor us and who we will associate with.  Believe me the Westminster idea to disassociate with Pedigree came from higher up--WAY HIGHER UP--corporate for sure.
Marie Campbell

Man Plans ~ God Laughs