[Dailydrool] Dog cookies

Esther Strom esthermstrom at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 09:00:14 PST 2012

I'm not sure which recipe you're referring to so I can't help you there,
but as for carob: it's a species of evergreen tree that has edible pods.
When the pods are roasted and ground, they can be used as a substitute
for chocolate. It's safe for dogs because it doesn't contain theobromine
or caffeine, the chemicals in chocolate that are so dangerous for them.

You can find carob chips and powder at stores like Whole Foods or Trader
Joes, as well as at most health food stores. You can also buy it online;
just google it. It's not quite as intensely-flavored as chocolate, so if
you're using it as a substitute in human foods, you may need to use more
to get the same flavor.

-Esther, Basil, and Waldo ATB