[Dailydrool] Dentals - to do or not to do

AWoodrum awoodrum at clear.net
Sat Feb 25 14:54:29 PST 2012

My first gut reaction is, don't do it.  Have the teeth cleaned up as well as
can be done without anesthesia, and put them on antibiotics to kill any
abscesses.  Then see about doing a week of antibiotics every month as a
preventative.  A 12 year old dog is OLD.  And last time I allowed my 12 year
old dog to have a dental and extractions, he went from healthy and happy (we
did all the pre-surgery testing to make sure he didn't have any health
problems and he was fine) to dead of congestive heart failure 4 months
later.  This was a standard Dachshund, and it was pre-Basset Hound days or I
would have known from reading the Drool that we could handle the problem
with meds.  Bacteria from the extractions got into his blood stream and
settled in his heart, and it killed him.

Anita Woodrum

awoodrum at clear.net