[Dailydrool] This & that

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 18:47:26 PST 2012

We've had a hound counter cruise and get into chocolate. We were very lucky
and Jersey got into light chocolate, not dark chocolate, and survived to
cruise another day. Apparently the light chocolate isn't quite as harmful
as the dark per our vet but we could feel her heart racing for a couple of
days after she ate it. Scary stuff! And trees with pitted fruit! What a
pain! We have had a peach tree in the back yard since we moved here. I love
it in the spring because it has the most beautiful blossoms on it. But then
I spend the rest of the spring into early summer worrying because the
Houndettes all eat and play with the peaches! It's not unusual to see Suzy
out there up on her back legs trying to pick the peaches off the tree! And
Ginger plays with the fruit like they're balls! We finally had the tree cut
down last summer. I worry about them swallowing a pit and developing a
blockage as much as I worry about the toxins in the pits so the tree
finally had to go. I'll miss the beautiful blossoms this spring but I
sure won't miss worrying about the hounds getting the peach pits any more!

Christine, you and Mark might want to try what I do when the Houndettes
have had surgery. I always turn to low sodium liquid bullion, cooked
chicken breast and rice for the Houndettes for their first few days after
they've had surgery. I make the combination real liquidy with the liquid
bullion to make sure they get extra fluid to prevent dehydration and the
chicken and rice is easy for them to digest. Plus it's kind of a treat for
them. I usually give them small servings (about 1/2 to 3/4 cup) three times
a day for a couple of days, then I start adding a little kibble to it on
the third day. The anesthesia tends to make their stomachs a little upset
and I haven't had anyone get sick post op when we've gone this route.

The mastiffs are visiting today and are helping the Houndettes sling drool
to all in need. Hoping to hear that Bona is finally on the mend! Wow, it's
certainly been a long haul for her! And we're all rooting for benign
results on Mr. Cooper Sirs biopsy.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger
with some help from Sasha & Brutus