[Dailydrool] They mysterious counter cruiser

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 4 05:26:25 PST 2012

Holly, AKA Holly Dolly, probably had never counter cruised before coming here--at least not since her arthritis got so bad. But we had an incident in December in which a tray of dog treats inexplicably slipped off the dining room table and into basset range. The previously innocent one was implicated simply because she managed to scarf up most of the items in question.

Yesterday I left the kitchen, sat down in another room, and heard a noise. When I reached the kitchen, Holly's nose was in an open bag of white chocolate candies (thank God it wasn't real chocolate). The bag was ripped open and at least one candy was split in half, with tooth marks. The outside of the wrapped candies was covered in a fair quantity of slobber.

As far as I can tell, the cat was not in the vicinity. One of the other dogs came into the kitchen just before me and was not able to share in the booty.

Now I'm wondering. Did the change in her arthritis drug make Holly able and willing to counter cruise? Do we have gremlins in the house? Is Jane knocking things down and then disappearing so that she will not be blamed? Perhaps she is training Holly in her methods? Or is Holly really so hungry from her diet that she really had no other options?

Anyway, we have a mystery counter cruiser in our home. Will it turn out to be the innocent princess? The cat? Or some mysterious other-worldly element?
Pam, mystified food slave to the Dashing Bassets