[Dailydrool] Rockslide needs drool

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Fri Jan 6 11:57:15 PST 2012

Hi all, I hardly have time to read posts anymore, let alone write one.  Condolences to all the families who have lost a beloved family member!
Just wanted to say that my boy Rocky is down in the rear.  He walked like a drunken sailor Wednesday morning, and then couldn't walk at all in the evening.  Took him to the vet first thing Thursday and the x-ray doesn't show anything more serious than a minor compression, so all good there.  He is on crate rest with pred and tramadol.  After his first dose of pred I did notice that his legs no longer immediately collapsed under him when I stood him up, but he still has no feeling in them and is dragging himself around like a seal.  I was seriously thinking of getting some of those furniture moving disks and putting them under his back "knees" to prevent him getting scuffed.  He won't tolerate being slinged, either with a homemade hiney-hoister or with a towel I think it hurts his spine.  The good news is that we do notice that if I hold his feet in the proper position under him and he starts walking in the front, the back ones start to move too (more muscle memory than actual intent on his part).  They didn't move at all before the first dose of pred.  We are hoping for continued improvement this weekend.  Poor boy didn't want to go out for the final pee last night, and ended up peeing in his crate.  He was pretty disgusted this morning!  I might give him a long overdue bath while it is warm this weekend, and he is helpless <snork>.  He stinks anyway, and has pooped on his back legs a couple of times. Yes, it is a warm week in Michigan, close to 50 degrees today.  I think this is the annual January thaw, and we are going to finally get slammed in February.  So far we have been pretty balmy!

Any suggestions for vitamins that have been used with good impact would be appreciated.  I already use Ester C and fish oil, and their food has a good amount of glucosamine in it. It seems like just yesterday that Rocky cleared a 4 foot fence with a foot to spare just to romance a stray boxer girl who came  calling!  It was actually about 4 years ago, but still, my boy is now 7, they are officially seniors now!  Rocky is still built like Sylvester Stallone in Rocky (for whom he was named) 70 solid lbs of muscle and bone, not an ounce of fat. He has a physique that any body builder would envy!  Still looks like the champ he would have been if I had ever had the funds to show him (sigh).  Please send Mr. Grumpy pants some healing drool.

Gaylene, mom to Rocky, Sassy, Arthur, Brutus the Magnificent, and Channy Bananny the bassets, Samson and Ivy the Pomawawas, and Clover and Bubby looking down from the Bridge