[Dailydrool] More on vacuums

Ann Hefner anniebh at acsol.net
Sat Jan 7 13:53:57 PST 2012

I have more than one of each. No wonder I'm so broke.  I have an Oreck and a Hoover  Windtunnel upstairs; I have a Dyson and another Hoover downstairs, and a Shark Navigator; dadslave stole the Miele for himself and it is in the garage some place.  The Dyson is way lighter than the Hoover. The Shark is the lightest of them all.  I really like the bags on the Hoover and not having to emply the cannister as with the Dyson or the Shark.  They all do a good job in a different way.  The Dyson is terrible for transitioning from upright to hose.  The Hoover is a snap. The Shark is the best of both.  I empties like the Dyson, but the hose is like the Hoover. But the Shark is more for touch ups.  It doesn't have half the suction power of any of the others. I can lift the Dyson and actually use the upright vac on the upholstery.  I don't think the attachments on any of them work as good.  The Hoover would eat the fabric.  The heavier area rugs are okay with both vacs.  The lighter weight ones do get sucked up, but with the Hoover you can adjust the height so it won't eat the rugs.  The Dyson has no adjustment, but it does better on flat carpet;  I use the Oreck for the stairs, but I've had it for years and never changed the bag so I'm not sure how much hair it is getting up.  The Dyson has to be emptied 2 or 3 times while I'm cleaning the downstairs.  The Hoover bag holds way more and will get very very full and I only change it about once a month, but it holds so much you can really feel the weight when carrying the vacuum around and it does lose suction power when it is full. You can really tell the difference when you have a new bag on.  I really wish the Shark had better suction.  I'd trade all of them for that.  AND THEN, I have central vac at the cabin, but it is so loud you can hear it 2 miles away, so I have a Hoover upstairs and a Dyson downstairs.  The stairs themselves don't get vacuumed at the cabin.!!!
Hounds are afraid of all of them.  I'd love to be able to vacuum the hair off of them.!
Ann