[Dailydrool] Vacuums, vote

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 09:26:47 PST 2012

First of all, hoping to hear some good news about Nigel. We brought in the
big droolers and have added mastiff get well drool along with the
Houndettes. With the big droolers helping (Sasha is up to 173 lbs!),
everyone who isn't feeling well should be up and doing great very soon!

We have tried almost every vacuum out there. The most recent waste of money
was on a Riccar. It cost a small fortune because we got the commercial
grade one to combat the fur and it isn't any better than the rest. And I
don't even want to tell you how much the stupid thing cost. Don't waste
your money. I'm glad to hear about how heavy the Dyson is. That is one
thing that's a big consideration for me. Some day we really hope to be able
to have more hard surfaces here than we currently do but we have a lot of
carpeting in this house. Dark green carpets at that! No, we didn't have
basset when we moved here, just our four old cats who shed but nothing like
the hounds do.

I looked at the house for dogs and initially thought it was pretty cool.
Then I thought, what a waste it would be with the hounds! I don't know
about yours but the Houndettes generally are wherever I am. I'm shadowed
throughout my day and I know they would never use their own house. Of
course, we have the hounds with us for companionship so their own house
would never make sense for us.

The question about mixing genders or having all the same in your canine
family is interesting. We have all girls here. It wasn't planned that way
and our little boy Tybee along with the few other male fosters who have
spent time with us have fit right in. However, the girls have had some
knock down, drag out fights here a few times. It has always been Ginger who
starts them and is always over something specific. She did go after Ty a
couple of times but it was more noise and to get him in line than it was to
really hurt him. Ginger's intent when she's gone after one of the other
Houndettes has been to hurt them. She is the only one who has ever shown
that kind of aggression towards Shadow & Suzy but they will fight back if
she comes after them. Jersey rules with an iron paw here but it's through
the strength of her personality. She's put Ginger on her back a couple of
times but she has never gotten into a fight with any of the other hounds
here. I know some of you also have all female households and some have all
male. I'd love to hear how the mixes work for you.

Voting starts tomorrow! I have continued to click on the purple button
every day since the voting stopped. We need to feed as many dogs as we can!
Plus, it keeps me in the habit of going to that site every day! Please vote
EVERY day and let's get that prize for another basset hound rescue! We're
all struggling financially and I know that money will be put to very good
use for the hounds.

Drool laced with prayers is being slung in HUGE quantities from the
Houndettes house to all in need.

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger
with Brutus & Sasha