[Dailydrool] Boys & girls

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 8 10:31:26 PST 2012

Here at the Dashing Bassets, we've had many combinations of boys and girls, both fosters and adoptees. With one exception, everyone has gotten along well after an initial period of introduction that lasts maybe a couple of weeks, during which the dogs set up the pack order.

First, it's very important that you introduce dogs properly. Do it on neutral territory--we use our front yard--not in the house. If you have multiple dogs, introduce them one at a time. If your dog is territorial, you might want to introduce the new dog at a more distant place like the street or a park. In a more distant place, take your dog for a walk with the new pack member. But however you introduce them, let everyone do a meet and greet before you bring the dogs into your house. Only bring the newbie inside when everyone has settled down and seems to accept the new dog.

During the pack-ordering time that follows, you need to allow dogs to do anything that does not include real harm. Most  pack-ordering "fights" are merely sound and fury. If you keep stepping in, you are unlikely to achieve peace in the pack. Allow the new dog to learn who owns what turf--and allow the existing hound(s) to identify those places. This will also happen with toys, food, and maybe even people.

After the pack introduction, some dogs seem to connect more strongly than others. Our Jane and Belvedere, our first foster, became fast friends almost immediately. But when we brought in Alexis, then Abner, the bonds were not as strong. Alexis had been an only dog who didn't need the others. Abner was quirky, and I think the other hounds just knew that and kept their distance. Foster Holly came in and was very jealous of Bel, who was my favorite. Usually I allow the hounds to work things out by themselves, but since Bel was blind and Holly just did not give up, I often stepped in. Later, through the blinddogs Yahoo list, I found out that she probably didn't appreciate the fact that Bel could not read her body language. But none of the dogs who were fully sighted had trouble getting along after that first period of setting up the pack order.

Though Jane has not fully gotten over losing her Belvedere, our current pack of her and Holly and Dexter the fosters, gets along well. I sometimes think that Holly is rather protective of Dexter. We hope this will not change after he loses his sight to glaucoma.

I also think that how well dogs get along can depend on the individual dogs in each case. If you have a bossy dog who will want to rule the roost, tell the rescue that you need to adopt a submissive dog. Then fights for the top dog spot will probably not be as likely.

That being said, when we brought Holly into the pack, it immediately became apparent that she wanted the top spot that Jane had held lifelong. Amazingly, fourteen-year-old Jane deferred to her. She seemed to be saying that she'd had her time ruling the pack and just wanted to retire. Things went very smoothly, because while Jane didn't fight, she also made it clear that she had certain rights that Holly accepted. When Dex came into the pack, he was clearly happy in third place, so the pack worked perfectly.

Could you end up with a dog who simply will not get along with your existing dog? Yes. In which case you probably need to exchange the new dog for another from the same rescue. The only case in which I can see this failing is if your dog just does not get on well with other dogs.

Bassets are pack animals and usually enjoy having someone else to share their home with. But in my experience it matters less what gender the hounds are than the other elements I've described.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets