[Dailydrool] Nervous Clara

Frans Breytenbach soilkraft at mylan.co.za
Sun Jan 15 01:42:25 PST 2012

Hi All

Hope you have a splendid 2012. Here in the sunny Western Cape the summer holidays are over (finally) and us locals are sighing with relief. A couple of very bad incidents occurred here due to visitors' negligance, but that is over now.

Our Klara has been as placid as all bassets are for her entire life. She is now bordering 12 years of age. Whilst she had never been the best traveller in the world, she always endured our long trips of up to 15 hours at a time with no ill effects.

Now, things changed suddenly. She is positively scared of travelling, running away when the moment arrives, shivering and drooling all the way, even on short journeys. Previously sudden noises did not cause her to bat an eyelid, now she runs away with a huge fright, even for moderate noises. The worst was yesterday, when she took a fright for washing flapping on the line. Our neighbour is a vet and she recommended Anxitane as a daily supplement. While it appears to calm her down a bit during a journey, she remains stressed and running away for noises etc.

Has anybody had similar experiences ?

Frans, Mariette, Clara and Sally with Bella, Florrie, Blastus and Barbara ATB.