[Dailydrool] hunting/gun bassets vs companion/conformation bassets

Marie Campbell moonlitlily1212 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 09:05:31 PST 2012

Hi Listers,
    Is there any physical, temperamental, or stamina differences in bassets bred for hunting/gun dogs vs bassets bred for conformation/companionship?   I know with labs, and maybe there shouldn't be but there is, there is definitely a difference in the physical structure many times in a conformation lab vs. a hunting/gun dog.  They hunting dogs are often more energetic and may have lighter bone then the heavier often squarer (sp) show dogs.  I know many breeders successfully breed for both but often there is a distinction and you look for different things when breeding for different tasks.
Thank you,
Marie Campbell
Man Plans ~ God Laughs