[Dailydrool] Field dogs vs. show dogs

oakrydgebh at q.com oakrydgebh at q.com
Thu Jan 19 12:32:57 PST 2012

As you stated in you post, there shouldn't be a difference but often there is. In some hunting kennels a little lighter built hound smaller hound is preferred for hunting. Some don't have correct structure but some of these breeders don't care much about that as long as the hound will hunt for them. There are breeders who do field work, track and hunt with bassets that have sound structure. Here in the northwest, there are quite a number of bassets who are dual champions meaning the have both their field championship and conformation championship. There are also some who have become Grand Field Champions and others with even more titles on their record. These are the bassets that epitomize our breed in my opinion. Any breed, bassets included should be bred to have sound structure and be capable of doing what that breed was created to do. Form follows function. However, there are breeders who could care less about any of that and that's where puppy mills and BYB come in and we all know what goes on there.

Occasionally, even a reputable breeder of dual purpose bassets may produce a basset that lacks the desire to hunt. It happens but most bassets that reputable breeders produce have sound structure and the instinct to hunt and use their nose to track a rabbit or follow a track and really enjoy doing it if given the opportunity to develop their instincts. There's nothing that compares to watching a basset do what he or she was created to do. We are blessed with hounds that are not only capable of all this but make wonderful companions as well.

Jacqie Marvich
Oakrydge Bassets
Caldwell, Idaho