[Dailydrool] Differences in Breeding

Vickie Zehring bubadog at comcast.net
Thu Jan 19 11:48:50 PST 2012

There are differences,Marie.I breed to show my dogs but that being said they should also be able to hunt as well. Some who breed for hunting do have a different look about them.A little lighter boned,ear placement is higher,skin is not as loose,sometimes these differences are subtle,sometimes not so subtle when they look like Beagles. I like a basset that looks like what the Standard describes,long ears ,loose skin,heavier bone though not so heavy it is cumbersome to the dog. What most of us want is not the," extreme" but a," well balanced" dog. There differences in Bassets bred in Europe compared to the ones bred in the USA.Those bassets are really heavy in bone and loose skin,personally, I like the look, but it is to the "extreme" and whenever you have an "extreme" you may have different problems than usual. Skin fold pyoderma would be something more prevalent in the European bassets. Possibly more skeletal /joint problems.