[Dailydrool] Xylitol

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Thu Jan 19 11:46:29 PST 2012

I must strenuously disagree with giving your dogs anything containing a known canine toxin.  Kidney failure is a cumulative thing, not necessarily an instantaneous thing.  The difference between "chronic kidney disease" and "acute kidney disease" can be substantial, or it can change in an instant.  "Chronic" is a long term or permanent condition that most usually has no cure, and may not show any symptoms for a long time.  It can be sneaky, and catch up on you when you least expect it.  "Acute" means that something has come to a head, and is immediately serious, but may be managed or cured.  In kidney failure, the kidneys do NOT repair themselves like other organs, so it is pretty much permanent although may be managed in your dog for a short period of time.

It is not necessary to give xylitol to the dogs as there are many other useful products available for tater prevention and oral health that do a great job.  Why risk kidney failure in their old age?  It is proven to be dangerous, just ask your vet.  Sorry, but you wouldn't give your baby arsenic at small doses just because it doesn't kill them at that moment, so why give them xylitol, which is known and proven to cause kidney failure?

I have had a dog with kidney failure, and trust me, doing sub-Q fluids for 4 months, feeding him expensive supplements every day, and watching his health get worse and worse is a horrible experience.  I knew that he had chronic kidney disease for years before he went acute (not from xylitol), and he had a full life until he suddenly went from good to bad.  It was overnight, I came home from work and his back was roachy and he was obviously miserable.  Took him to the vet and he had such high levels of toxins in his blood that they almost lost him.  After $1500.00 and 3 days of intensive care with IV he came home and I had to give him 1 ltr of lactated ringers EVERY DAY for the rest of his life.  He still had some kidney function so he lasted 4 months with pretty good quality of life.  Once his kidneys failed completely, I had to let him go.  He was happy until the last few days, and the vet came to the house to give him the best death possible.

It is so very simple to do everything you can to prevent something like that. Don't feed your dogs Grapes (or anything made from grapes), onions, chocolate, or xylitol.  Those are the biggies in the "toxic to dogs" list, and are the easiest things to avoid.

Gaylene Opal-Deitering