[Dailydrool] Hailey to the Rainbow Bridge

Sabrina brii at sprynet.com
Fri Jan 20 21:46:29 PST 2012

When I met my husband in 1990, I had three Bassets and he had a tall
dog (lab/golden). Since then, we've always had a tall dog to mother
our Bassets and keep the pack in order. For the last 9 years, Hailey
was our gentle ruler. She was a rescue, always quietly seeking
attention - the perfect therapy dog. She spent a year working with
hospice patients and before that with severely disabled children and
the elderly. In the last year and a half, Hailey had three surgeries
for growths in different feet. Just after Thanksgiving, we learned
that cancer had spread. A week ago, she deteriorated suddenly and we
knew it was time to let her go. The  vet came to our house. Hailey
and I lay on a quilt, nose to nose; I rubbed her ear the way she
liked and talked to her; when I started to cry, she licked my tears
before she died.

My heart is broken, and our Bassets are in mourning. Here's our
beautiful girl: http://home.sprynet.com/~brii/pets/hailey.html

Sabrina, Ellie, and Buddy