[Dailydrool] Finally a diagnosis for Arthur

Ann Hefner anniebh at acsol.net
Mon Jan 23 16:19:04 PST 2012

Quick recap.  He has had intermittent times when he is very incontinent and
his urine has no color.  Did blood work and urinalysis and all was fine.
Doc thought it was his back but that didn't explain why his urine was
colorless.  Took him to back doc to verify that his back is okay.  They
asked me to get a urine sample to check specific gravity, which many of you
also suggested.  I was finally able to get a sample today.  His urine has
been concentrated since they gave me the little syringes to get it.  Any
way,  his specific gravity is off showing that his kidneys are not properly
functioning.  First doc was adamant that if there was a kidney problem it
wouldn't come and go.  Some one else wrote me and said that was how their
hound was reacting at the early stages of kidney failure.  So off to the vet
to get a sack of KD formula.  I had recently switched to California Natural
Senior and it is too high in protein for him.  24% mixed with some Taste of
Wild - 25%.  The KD is 12% and she said if that didn't work Royal Canin was
11%.  This doc emphasized that for kidney function to show on the blood work
it has to get down to 75% function.  So a word of caution, those of you who
are switching to grain free high protein food, it may not be good for a
senior hound.

Ann